Friday, August 31, 2012

Childhood Heroes

Joan Didion's article about John Wayne not only shows her infatuation with the actor, but also the impact that this man had on her life. As a child Didion admired Wayne's adventourous lifestyle, and calm persona. She writes about her admiration for Wayne's brave character and ability to be a "real man," who can be a provider for the woman. Didion claims to have never found her John Wayne in her own relationships despite her constant search for it. John Wayne also shows Didion what a woman should be, even though some may agee that he portrays woman as inferior to men.

Blink 182 has been in my life ever since I heard the song, "Whats My Age Again" on my brother's CD mix, while riding in the car. Once I heard this song, I knew that I had to hear more from this glorious band. One day after a boring school day in fifth grade, I snuck into my brother's room and came across a Blink 182 CD with a picture of a woman wearing an abundance of makeup, dressed as a sexy nurse. I immediately took this CD into my room and listened to the whole thing straight through. This became an after school ritual of mine. Throughout middle school, my love for  Blink 182 only became stronger. It brought me and my best friend together that fateful night at the sixth grade dance, and inspired me to start a band in highschool. When I received the news that the band had reunited, I was ecstatic and ever since then, I have seen them play live every time they came to Hershey.

No comments:

Post a Comment